LUCKY 13 AMATEUR BURLESQUE COMPETITION
Rogue Burlesque hosts the Lucky 13 Amateur Burlesque Competition several times a year at Club Cafe in Boston, MA. Each competition offers 13 contestants the opportunity to perform a burlesque solo in front of a live audience. It's a great way to give burlesque a try -- and many current members of Rogue Burlesque got their start at Lucky 13!
Whether you want to break into the burlesque business or you just want to challenge yourself with an unforgettable experience, Lucky 13 is your chance to shine!
OUR NEXT COMPETITION:
February 17, 2018
209 Columbus Ave, Boston
7pm doors, 7:30pm show
Tickets on sale in 2018
Workshop date: Sunday, January 28, 6-9pm
Registration for our February 2018 competition will open on December 2.
Check this page for details then.
Who can compete?
You must be an amateur – this means you have been performing burlesque/boylesque for less than a year and you are not currently a member of a professional burlesque troupe, nor have you taught burlesque. You must be at least 18 to compete.
Rogue welcomes contestants of all genders, ages (over 18, of course), sexes, sexual orientations, body types, sizes, races, ethnicities, national origins, abilities and disabilities, creeds, and aesthetics.
What if I get in?
Rogue Burlesque is committed to helping you have the best performance possible. That’s why we’re giving you the chance to workshop your number and get feedback from us before you perform! There is no cost for this. It is included in your registration fee. You will get a 15-minute slot during the evening on Sunday, June 11, 6-9pm to show us an initial draft of your number.
While the workshop is optional, it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. We have found that those people who are not ready for their workshop date end up not being ready to perform and thus drop out. Bring whatever you have — even if it is nothing more than an idea and we’ll talk you through! It does not have to be a finished, polished routine. REALLY.
Note: The Rogues who give feedback will NOT be judging the contest and will not provide any information about your number to the judges in advance.
What if I win?
The winner will get a grand prize consisting of: pair of hand-bedazzled pasties, 2 complimentary tickets to the next Rogue Burlesque show, and $50 CASH!
Competition Rules and Expectations
- You must do burlesque. This means that you must perform striptease to whatever level you are comfortable. To comply with state and city of Boston laws, you must wear at a minimum: nipple pasties (for female-bodied people) and underwear that covers at least 2″ on either side of your crack (aka, no thongs). You can wear MORE than this; this is the *bare* minimum, if you will.
- You must be an amateur – this means you have been performing burlesque/boylesque for less than a year and you are not currently a member of a professional burlesque dance troupe.
- You must perform a solo routine. It takes a lot of courage to get up there and do burlesque by yourself! We like to keep the playing field even so we ask everyone to do a solo performance. No duos or groups allowed! Note: If you require a *small* cameo appearance by a second person to explain or set your story, this is allowed. But their role must be minimal.
- Your song must be between 2.5 and 4.5 minutes long. You must send us your music (in MP3 format) at least one week before the show. Send to email@example.com
- You will have the opportunity to workshop your number with non-judging members of Rogue. When you sign up, you will be offered a 15-minute slot. Again, this is not a requirement and will NOT impact judging.
- We will provide a stage kitten who can help set any props you might have as well as pick up your clothes at the end of your number. Stage kittens will NOT do any additional cleaning after your number. This means no liquids, food products, glitter, or any other messy substances can be left on stage. If you really want to include messy materials in your number, you must bring your own tarp and have a clean-up plan.
- You must arrive at Club Cafe by 6:30pm the night of the show. There is limited changing space that will be shared among multiple performers. Please come with hair and makeup done. Come with as much of your costume already on as you feel comfortable. Play nice when sharing space. The competition will start at 7:30pm. You must be ready for your timeslot! Timeslots will be determined in advance through a random drawing.
- Invite your friends. There will be 3 professional judges. The fourth judge will be the audience. This means the more people you bring to vote for you, the better your chances of winning the audience vote. And let’s be honest, you want people to see you! So invite everyone you know!
- Have fun! Yes, this is a competition. And yes, this may be your first time on stage (which can be nerve-wracking). But burlesque is also supposed to be fun! And we want to make sure you have a great experience!
PAST LUCKY 13 WINNERS
Polly Surely (November 2010)
Dewie Decimator (March 2011)
Claude Kitten (July 2011)
The Bon Vivant (November 2011)
Maggie Maraschino (March 2012)
Anna Phylaxis (June 2012)
Amber Rane (October 2012)
Dagny VanderLust (March 2013)
Tyranna Suarez Sex (October 2013)
Sultry Champagne (April 2015)
Tuesday Addams (September 2015)
The First Lady (February 2016)
Kimmy Moore (May 2016)
Dandy Sherman (August 2016)
Dick Flair (January 2017)
Lulu Munroe (June 2017)
Marie Abbadon (Sept 2017)